Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page The Thinking Behind Red and Blue States.

Old 10-13-04   #1
Iron's Rite
United States of Moronica

Location: "The forest folded it's branches around me, something passed by and I went into a dream." -Opeth
Iron's Rite is on a distinguished road
Credits: 253,465
The Thinking Behind Red and Blue States.

I've been trying to figure this one out myself and I can agree with it. Although with our current situation it's so blatently an issue of right vs. wrong for me that I hadn't been able to come up with a model of my own.
With all the frustration and animosity between liberals and conservatives we need a working model before Civil War II breaks out.

http://www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown....t-2004&prgId=5
[hildegard von bingen - ordo virtutum]

Last edited by Denalay; 10-13-04 at 00:42.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-04   #2
SourMilkSea
That's right.

Location: I think I'm somewhere... Yeah I think I'm somewhere in Washington.
SourMilkSea is on a distinguished road
Credits: 12,026
That was very interesting. I always knew ones conservative or progressive view came from the parents...But not to this extent.
"Personally, I'm in favor of democracy, which means that the central institutions of society have to be under popular control. Now, under capitalism, we can't have democracy by definition. Capitalism is a system in which the central institutions of society are in principle under autocratic control. "

-Noam Chomsky
Old 10-18-04   #3
Iron's Rite
United States of Moronica

Location: "The forest folded it's branches around me, something passed by and I went into a dream." -Opeth
Iron's Rite is on a distinguished road
Credits: 253,465
Thanks for replying. It does explain a lot. The idea has even helped me understand some of my own feelings towards extreme right-wing ideology. My own father was more hurtful through the nature of his ignorance rather than a blatent "my way or the highway" mentality. Still, the things that infuriate me the most about extreme conservatives all connect to that archytype of the strong father figure.
[hildegard von bingen - ordo virtutum]
Old 10-18-04   #4
SourMilkSea
That's right.

Location: I think I'm somewhere... Yeah I think I'm somewhere in Washington.
SourMilkSea is on a distinguished road
Credits: 12,026
Yeah, I definetly have a new way to look at em...Still don't like their ideas though, but I don't "HATE" them in the way I used too. I wish this thread got more conversation going.
"Personally, I'm in favor of democracy, which means that the central institutions of society have to be under popular control. Now, under capitalism, we can't have democracy by definition. Capitalism is a system in which the central institutions of society are in principle under autocratic control. "

-Noam Chomsky
Old 10-18-04   #5
Arty
Lord of the Dance

Arty will become famous soon enough
Credits: 44,057
It's one of those things where there is clearly some sort of truth in what he says, but where it really only amounts to a tiny part of the whole truth. It's far too simple, because the dichotomy that he describes is only a lazy sketch of the real situation, which is that most people fall in between. It's a psychological interpretation of a media myth. He pays lip service to the fact that people have each type of mentality within them, but there are more than two ways of looking at the world to begin with. He also makes little account of the fact that social conservatives and economic conservatives actually disagree horribly as often as not on certain points. Nevertheless, I think that the primary point - that different systems of belief arise because of different moral assumptions - is spot on.

On the other hand I think that what is as interesting as anything else is his tendency, which he doesn't seem to notice, to classify everything into discrete little boxes. Not just the main division, but his assertion that there are precisely six different kinds of liberal. We see the same thing with self-help books that describe, say, six types of office colleagues that you have to deal with (my parents have that one). People like to put things into little boxes, and in doing so they distort the true nature of what they describe. I just wonder if the very tendency that this guy displays here isn't the same tendency that has seen the division between conservatives and liberals whipped up to such an extenst in the first place, thereby allowing him, ironically, to come up with his little theory about how everyone exists in little boxes.
'If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning, concerning matterof fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it contains nothing but sophistry and illusion.'

'The heart of man is made to reconcile the most glaring contradictions.'

David Hume
Old 09-17-13   #6
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 26,877
Ok piggy