Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Life after death

Old 08-13-12   #61
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 26,877
You need a phoenix down for that.
Old 08-14-12   #62
basitazi
Face in the Mist

basitazi is on a distinguished road
Credits: 762
any one/ any body?????????????????// is any one can comment
on this?
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12   #63
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by basitazi View Post
any one/ any body?????????????????// is any one can comment
on this?
were not gonna badger you for your beliefs if they are extremist. DF has a no hate+hate=double hate policy. Sure we hate you, but not because of your beliefs.
Old 08-14-12   #64
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,470,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwraith View Post
I think you get 1 shot at life. So if this is all there is and we've got 1 shot at it, the trick is to make it count.

to quote Bill Hicks, It's just a ride...

Neon

^^^^ What that guy said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-12   #65
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefr0g View Post
^^^^ What that guy said.
Id have to disagree. I imagine you get unlimited chances at life. I already screwed this chance up so I'm gonna leave my future self a bunch of drugs so he is not as bored as I am now.
Old 08-14-12   #66
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Trust no bitch
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html
Old 08-15-12   #67
basitazi
Face in the Mist

basitazi is on a distinguished road
Credits: 762
But I think hate +hate = Like.
I have just given mu opinion. you love me or hate me, I don't care
Old 08-18-12   #68
HixaliplyHeta
New Blood

HixaliplyHeta has disabled reputation
Credits: 876
test 4535424

Dont test, post or get banned.

Last edited by SilentShade; 08-19-12 at 14:55.
Old 08-20-12   #69
Baron IX
Immorior Xerampelina

Baron IX has disabled reputation
Credits: 847
(Im new here and somehow can't introduce myself properly on the "introduction" theard)

In my opinion "to exist" as it is asked here, happens only whilst someone can think about it, when I die, if my mental processes are obsolete, so anything else will dissipate too. Even spiritually speaking, an afterlife seems too much of an easy solution. Reincarnation and all that "but no memories" sounds like a perfect veil for being unable to know the real answer. I just say it is a big "if", not to be trusted.

It is all Vanity, I like it down here.
Old 08-28-12   #70
ava1enzue1a
Face in the Mist

ava1enzue1a is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,433
My latest input: life and death could merely be formations of the mind, so nothing "actual" regarding life/death in the first place. Only as "real" as you think it out to be. Excellent quote from a movie (Martha Marcy May Marlene):

Quote:
We're never really dead or alive; we just exist.
I think I subscribe to that. It makes sense, nothing really too complicated or perplexing, just a simple, absolute philosophy. Sounds good enough for me.
Old 08-28-12   #71
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

life
   [lahyf] Show IPA noun, plural lives  [lahyvz] Show IPA, adjective

noun
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

death
   [deth] Show IPA

noun
the act of dying; the end of life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism. Compare brain death.

If we can really understand the meaning of the words life and death, then we can really that the two cannot coexist, the are polarites as far apart metphysically as nature allow. When one ends the other begins, and when one ends the other must begin.
Old 09-05-12   #72
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Jordyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 825,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerMikeBrown View Post
I know a lady who's perception of Heaven is non-existance.

And not-so-coincidentally, she believes you cease to exist after you die.
That's not an entirely foreign subject in the realm of God based religions, there's belief that when you die you remain dead until the final judgement and that hell is being removed fromthe sight of God if you fail the test, rather than union.

no torture in a fiery pit...just not existing anymore.
Old 09-09-12   #73
ava1enzue1a
Face in the Mist

ava1enzue1a is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik Simon View Post
life
[lahyf] Show IPA noun, plural lives [lahyvz] Show IPA, adjective

noun
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

death
[deth] Show IPA

noun
the act of dying; the end of life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism. Compare brain death.
What about consciousness? Thoughts could be inorganic and "death" could merely be a brain (mind-made) concept. Consider this example:

Quote:
Zero Point

Furthermore, again in theory, there is one possible universe which is called the Zero or Omega Point, in which there is no time or space, and all possible universes coexist. This realm is referred to in NDE research as "the void". An example is found in the NDE of Olaf Swenson who experienced a timeless spaceless realm when he nearly died of a botched tonsillectomy at age 14. He states that "suddenly I rolled into a ball and smashed into another reality. The forces that brought me through the barrier were terrific. I was on the other side. I realized that the boundary between life and death is a strange creation of our own mind, very real (from the side of the living), and yet insignificant." Olaf felt he was floating in a universe with no boundaries. "I had total comprehension of everything. I stood at the annihilation point, a bright orange light." He continues, "As I felt my mind transported back to my body, I thought, please let me remember this new theory of relativity." The information that Olaf gained during his NDE inspired him to develop over 100 patents in molecular chemistry.
Original source: http://near-death.com/quantum.html

Scarily though (or maybe not so scarily; whichever way one may take it), even consciousness is thought to be a mortal concept, at least for our egos (the mind-made "self"). There's this concept called "ego death" in that our very thoughts could "die", at least our mind-made/perceived boundaries that seem to separate "us" from the rest of the world. Perhaps one of the best illustrations for this is:

Quote:
To be completely you means being alone. When this is experienced, it will bring very deep grief and sadness. You have to learn to say good-bye to everything you have loved -- not just your Mommy and Daddy, your boyfriend and your cat, but to your feelings, your mind, your ideas. You are in love with all of these. Letting go of them will feel like a great loss, even a death. It is not you who dies. What dies is everyone else. In the experience of ego death, you don't feel you're dying; you feel everybody else is dead. You feel you're all alone, totally alone. You have lost a boundary which was constructed from past experiences. But this boundary never really existed! It was just a belief. When you experience reality as it is, there is no sense of boundaries or of being separate, of inside or outside.
Original source: http://glossary.ahalmaas.com/phrases/ego-death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik Simon View Post
If we can really understand the meaning of the words life and death, then we can really that the two cannot coexist, the are polarites as far apart metphysically as nature allow. When one ends the other begins, and when one ends the other must begin.
In this life, in our material universe, I'd say the two do coexist; you cannot define or know one thing without the other/opposite to compare and contrast it with. See the yin yang philosophy.

Last edited by ava1enzue1a; 09-09-12 at 20:15.