Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Darkforum Support Forums > Support Forum
Reload this Page Bot spam attack

Old 11-27-11   #1
Shalrath
Face in the Mist

Shalrath is on a distinguished road
Credits: 2,589
Bot spam attack

I'm being attacked by damn bots posting roughly 30+ profile messages a day; all contain pure advertisment crap. It's not like I give a shit since I barely ever log in but obviously darkorum's registeration and spam filtering system is fucked up and somebody has to do something with that. Or not.
"Three Swiss witch-bitches, which wished to be switched Swiss witch-bitches, watch three Swiss Swatch watch switches. Which Swiss witch-bitch, which wishes to be a switched Swiss witch-bitch, wishes to watch which Swiss Swatch watch switch?"

Author Unknown (let me know if you know who wrote this)
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11   #2
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 24,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalrath View Post
I'm being attacked by damn bots posting roughly 30+ profile messages a day; all contain pure advertisment crap. It's not like I give a shit since I barely ever log in but obviously darkorum's registeration and spam filtering system is fucked up and somebody has to do something with that. Or not.
U check ur msgs? Huh. Interesting. Are any of the ads for free women?
Old 11-28-11   #3
Shalrath
Face in the Mist

Sadly no, but I had to disable email darkforum notifications cause my hotmail account was also getting spammed.
Here's the link for whoever might be interested:
http://www.darkforum.com/member.php?u=30855
"Three Swiss witch-bitches, which wished to be switched Swiss witch-bitches, watch three Swiss Swatch watch switches. Which Swiss witch-bitch, which wishes to be a switched Swiss witch-bitch, wishes to watch which Swiss Swatch watch switch?"

Last edited by Shalrath; 11-28-11 at 05:30.
Old 11-28-11   #4
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,149,072
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do other than banning the user. The owners of the place are MIA and nobody has any real power to fix anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-11   #5
cg admin
Dark Disciple
Admin

cg admin is on a distinguished road
Credits: 3,003
For now, I turned off visitor messages to the newest usergroup. To be allowed to send visitor messages, a new account has to participate on the site to be granted VM privileges.
Old 11-28-11   #6
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalrath View Post
Sadly no, but I had to disable email darkforum notifications cause my hotmail account was also getting spammed.
Here's the link for whoever might be interested:
http://www.darkforum.com/member.php?u=30855
No u dont get it. We aren't interested. We dont even read our own hotmail accounts they are probably full of darkforum spam. Its fine. We are fine.
Old 11-28-11   #7
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

Woah, the mythical crowdgather representatives appeared to us, as if in a vision! In Shalrath's hour of need they bestowed their good graces upon him! Harken unto the Lord this day which beholden in thine own image the dearth of recklessness that hath befallen thee.

That last sentence was gibberish, but sounds pretty cool when read aloud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-11   #8
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefr0g View Post
Woah, the mythical crowdgather representatives appeared to us, as if in a vision! In Shalrath's hour of need they bestowed their good graces upon him! Harken unto the Lord this day which beholden in thine own image the dearth of recklessness that hath befallen thee.

That last sentence was gibberish, but sounds pretty cool when read aloud.
And behold, his eyes were made of fire, and he created a golden idol that we should worship in the image of a the cg-demon.
Old 11-29-11   #9
Shalrath
Face in the Mist

Yeah whatever, problem solved for all I care, but the administration's reaction is... inadequate.
On any normal forum something would be done with this, if only disabling user registeration for a few days so maybe the bot owner gets discouraged.
I administered and moderated vB forums before and I know there's plenty of options for mass post/message deletion and/or user ban/ip range ban, but obviously few people actually give a shit here.
Just close this thread since the problem is solved for me after I disabled email notifications. Shame though, on the people that are supposed to administer and moderate this place and seem to be content just sitting on their asses, save for a few exceptions.

Last edited by Shalrath; 11-29-11 at 10:10.
Old 11-29-11   #10
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Darkforum has inadequate administration/moderation?!

Surely you jest!

You should be basking in the glow of the administrative attention you received. That's the first contact we've had with crowdgather in 3 years! And they showed up just for you! Not only that, it seems like they actually solved the problem you had by disabling private messages for new users.

But all things considered, you're right. Nobody here gives a shit. Deal with it.

Old 11-30-11   #11
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

Dyshade will become famous soon enoughDyshade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 794,622
Hell they kinda screwed up the whole thing in the first place. The whole member tier thingie went boom and I had to disable it due to it screwing older members and not allowing them to do anything with their user CP, some still have that problem. My hands are tied because they pretty much only allow me to do so much, unless I am missing something, which could very well be the case. of course all Mr. Hothead here had to do is PM any one of us and we would happily BAN that member, I will do so now If it has not already been done.

S.O.D.

Old 11-30-11   #12
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

Dyshade will become famous soon enoughDyshade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 794,622
Yep, noticed that SPAM was getting posted to User Profiles, tried to disable it, could not. Banned about 8 people who were doing it, they made new user accounts as fast as I banned. Looked again for a way to shut off new user message functions, I could not find it or I do not have access. I bet the prior.

S.O.D.

Old 12-14-11   #13
Lenina
Mad Kangaroo sex

Lenina will become famous soon enough
Credits: 372,454
Cack! I don't know if me mod powers are capable! Hahaha! Hang on.

Old 12-14-11   #14
Lenina
Mad Kangaroo sex

Lenina will become famous soon enough
Credits: 372,454
Yay! I dun something useful! Makes a change!

Old 01-31-12   #15
Baphamett
The Master

Baphamett is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 6,288
I do recall Lenina...let me see if i can pull up an old ref.http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n.../editedwtf.jpg
Old 03-31-12   #16
ANGELHALF
Face in the Mist

ANGELHALF is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefr0g View Post
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do other than banning the user. The owners of the place are MIA and nobody has any real power to fix anything.

That seems like the case on most forms I go to. even face book has Bots LOL
Old 03-31-12   #17
ANGELHALF
Face in the Mist

ANGELHALF is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,045
Bots are a real pain. In the ass.. Its like junk mail showing up at your house you dont want but it keeps showing up no matter what.
Old 04-20-12   #18
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

*keeps showing up at darkforum no matter what (YOU CANNOT BAN ME)
Old 08-16-12   #19
vectrata
Face in the Mist

vectrata is on a distinguished road
Credits: 528
what is this attack
Old 08-16-12   #20
vectrata
Face in the Mist

vectrata is on a distinguished road
Credits: 528