Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Dealing with the less fortunate?

Old 11-06-07   #1
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Jordyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 825,096
Dealing with the less fortunate?

For some reason, when i'm working men who have no where to go or stay come in and ask for any suggestions, i feel genuinely bad for them, there's only one homeless shelter in town and they're most always full and it's easy to ignore those that stand on the street corner of walmart with their silly signs...but they actually come into a movie store to ask where they can stay.

personally i'm mixed; part of my pride is that if i can do it, why can't they...but this one jovial gentleman that was in tonight, a vet and the whole shebang had no where to go, and was just looking for a place to build a fire...the only places i knew were out of town, after i had to clarify what he meant.

i don't know why i got so frustrated over the inability to help or advise him this evening, but it's really bothering me? *shrugs*
Old 11-07-07   #2
Lord-IVD
DM

Lord-IVD is on a distinguished road
Credits: 61,492
Dont worry hon they choose that path ...and most of them make out just fine. After all they now use magic ,and it provides them with just about everything they need . If you dont belive me ask a Nomad and they can show you the wonders of their ways. tho there is a diffence between homeless and a Nomad..lol.
Old 11-07-07   #3
crimsonnyte
A Bit of Luck

crimsonnyte is on a distinguished road
Credits: 109,377
I call it capitalism. There can be no top of the pyramid without a base for it to rest on.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07   #4
dk123
Lost Soul

dk123 will become famous soon enoughdk123 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 262,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonnyte View Post
I call it capitalism. There can be no top of the pyramid without a base for it to rest on.
marxism isn't an outdated concept. it has just evolved.
Old 11-07-07   #5
crimsonnyte
A Bit of Luck

crimsonnyte is on a distinguished road
Credits: 109,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzy View Post
marxism isn't an outdated concept. it has just evolved.
This I know. It's been drilled into my brain a lot... But the interesting thing is that Marx's communist "ideal" so to speak hasn't been done yet. But interestingly he sees capitalism as a stepping stone towards communism. But I'm drifting from the thread topic.
Old 11-08-07   #6
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,469,559
When I dispatched for the po-leece in small town kansas, we had a voucher program where we would give people 1 night in a hotel and 1 free meal if they were stranded in town. While we had them filling out the vouchers we also checked them for warrants and shit, but its an option you might mention to some of these guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-07   #7
Violindustrial
The Victorian Wench

Violindustrial is on a distinguished road
Credits: 3,607
I was on a business trip once and a homeless man had been begging for money. I was reaching into my pocket to give him 10 bucks, but my co-worker had told me to put it away. When we were clear around the block I asked him why he'd done that. He explained to me in that area there were more than enough shelters- and that my money would just supply them the means to continue drinking or buying drugs.

I've met very few homeless people that simply fell on hard times because life was a whore. People pick their paths and have the choice to go in either direction they choose.

I still feel really guilty though when they look so helpless and awful.

I've incredibly bad anxiety at times and when they come up to my car window asking for money? I freak out. I'm surprised I haven't run one of them over yet. Isn't that illegal somehow? Going up to peoples windows at a highway exit begging for money?