Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page The "health benifits of alcohol" has been debunked

Old 02-25-06   #1
sephardic-male
Lurks in the Shadows

sephardic-male is on a distinguished road
Credits: 7,932
The "health benifits of alcohol" has been debunked

Moderate alcohol consumption has no positive effect on health - contrary to a number of studies - while heavy drinking doubles men's chances of dying from a stroke, research has found.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/377381.stm

http://www.jrussellshealth.com/alcben_paradox.html

Removing the alcohol content of red wine does not reduce its health-giving properties, suggest experts.

In fact, the alcohol may actually shorten the benefits.

more reasons not to drink that bitter tasting toxic chemical

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

gothic music and eurodance music
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06   #2
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,442
I dont drink for its health benefits, I drink it for its health uhhh non-benefits like getting plastered.
Old 02-26-06   #3
sixxx(sic)six
satanic teddybear

Location: Under your bed with a very sharp knife...and nekkid!
sixxx(sic)six is on a distinguished road
Credits: 395,024
i just fuckin' drink...regardless the reason
Old 02-27-06   #4
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,470,223
I drink because I hurt inside.

Naaah just kidding... I just like to get hammered on occasion.

Old 02-27-06   #5
----LysoL----
4 12 06

----LysoL---- is on a distinguished road
Credits: 11,169
We're all gonna die sooner or later
Old 02-27-06   #6
----LysoL----
4 12 06

----LysoL---- is on a distinguished road
Credits: 11,169
Might as well speed things up a bit.
Old 03-04-06   #7
masochist
Still Hungry

masochist is on a distinguished road
Credits: 195,580
Alcohol is poison...that's why you react to it the way you do. Saying that, I will too get pissed on occasion. I also get a rash from alochol. Another reason why it is hazardous to my health.
Old 03-04-06   #8
Peter
Non-sequitur

Peter is on a distinguished road
Credits: 65,928
So why do the French live so long?

Finding an alternate explanation that maybe the people on the 'not drinkers' side of the bell-curve may be too ill to drink rather than being ill through drink doesn't make it a good debunk of the theory that moderate drinking is healthy.

It doesn't even sound very solid.

I'm afraid I've left this forum, please read
Old 03-04-06   #9
masochist
Still Hungry

masochist is on a distinguished road
Credits: 195,580
...I'm sure I get quite ill through drink, not just by myself...

I thought it was anti-oxidents in red wine that was good for you. Not alcohol itself, so the French would do well from it, but alcohol in other forms that don't contain the goodstuff would therefore be useless - in terms of vitamins and suppliments.
Old 03-04-06   #10
sephardic-male
Lurks in the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
So why do the French live so long?

Finding an alternate explanation that maybe the people on the 'not drinkers' side of the bell-curve may be too ill to drink rather than being ill through drink doesn't make it a good debunk of the theory that moderate drinking is healthy.

It doesn't even sound very solid.

http://www.jrussellshealth.com/alcohol.html

a quote

Alcohol has no redeeming benefit and almost any important system in the body is damaged to some extent by alcohol use. We found that alcohol use suppressed the immune system, increased oxidative damage, reduced tissue nutrient levels, reduced lifespan, and promoted tumor growth. Colleagues have shown recently that alcohol use increases susceptibility of cells to invasion and growth of HIV. My personal conclusion is to never drink alcohol, says Dr. Watson.
{“Alcohol, AIDS and Nutrition,” Interviews with Nutritional Experts, by Dr. Richard Passwater, PhD, interviewing Dr. Ronald Watson. Dr. Watson has edited 35 books and more than 350 research reports on alcohol, nutrition, and their interactions with immunology and cancer. He has directed a NIH funded Alcohol Research Center focusing on alcohol-immunology-AIDS interactions.healthynet.com, Oct. 2001}

more at

http://www.jrussellshealth.com/alcben.html

Old 03-05-06   #11
Peter
Non-sequitur

Peter is on a distinguished road
Credits: 65,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephardic-male
http://www.jrussellshealth.com/alcohol.html

a quote

Alcohol has no redeeming benefit and almost any important system in the body is damaged to some extent by alcohol use. We found that alcohol use suppressed the immune system, increased oxidative damage, reduced tissue nutrient levels, reduced lifespan, and promoted tumor growth. Colleagues have shown recently that alcohol use increases susceptibility of cells to invasion and growth of HIV. My personal conclusion is to never drink alcohol, says Dr. Watson.
{“Alcohol, AIDS and Nutrition,” Interviews with Nutritional Experts, by Dr. Richard Passwater, PhD, interviewing Dr. Ronald Watson. Dr. Watson has edited 35 books and more than 350 research reports on alcohol, nutrition, and their interactions with immunology and cancer. He has directed a NIH funded Alcohol Research Center focusing on alcohol-immunology-AIDS interactions.healthynet.com, Oct. 2001}

more at

http://www.jrussellshealth.com/alcben.html
.. and yet the study you just cited at the top of the page demonstrates that while no health benefit exists according to their study, there is also no health repercussions for moderate drinkers.

Scientists disagree on occasion, they can't all be right if they disagree. The two things you have cited disagree, one says no health repercussions and the other says always health repercussions. I find the conclusion of (to paraphrase) "maybe they're too ill to drink" questionable because of moderate drinking cultures having a majority of people who live longer and I question the conclusion that moderate drinking always damages health for the exact same reason.

In both studies the conclusion is open to exactly this interpretation as well as their own interpretations since health benefits can outweigh health repercussions and leave a remaining health benefit. (like, thinning the blood can reduce heart disease and increase the chance of dying if you contract AIDS and since more people die of heart disease than AIDS, it's an overall benefit etc.)

I'm afraid I've left this forum, please read
Old 03-26-06   #12
patryn
fuck off

patryn will become famous soon enoughpatryn will become famous soon enough
Credits: 171,553
drinking is for the mental benefits.

jesus wants his fucking whistle.
Old 03-29-06   #13
sephardic-male
Lurks in the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
.. and yet the study you just cited at the top of the page demonstrates that while no health benefit exists according to their study, there is also no health repercussions for moderate drinkers.

Scientists disagree on occasion, they can't all be right if they disagree. The two things you have cited disagree, one says no health repercussions and the other says always health repercussions. I find the conclusion of (to paraphrase) "maybe they're too ill to drink" questionable because of moderate drinking cultures having a majority of people who live longer and I question the conclusion that moderate drinking always damages health for the exact same reason.

In both studies the conclusion is open to exactly this interpretation as well as their own interpretations since health benefits can outweigh health repercussions and leave a remaining health benefit. (like, thinning the blood can reduce heart disease and increase the chance of dying if you contract AIDS and since more people die of heart disease than AIDS, it's an overall benefit etc.)

a drinking culture and long life is not related people are living longer because of advances in medicine

Old 03-29-06   #14
sephardic-male
Lurks in the Shadows

'Social drinkers more at risk from liver disease' - study

WEDNESDAY 29/03/2006 15:37:23
'Social drinkers more at risk from liver disease' - study

Social drinkers and not alcoholics are now the vast majority of patients developing drink related liver cirrhosis, a study has found.

oooooo gotch ya right there

http://www.utvlive.com/newsroom/inde...?id=71910&pt=n

Old 03-29-06   #15
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

"social drinkers have more fun" -study

Old 03-30-06   #16
Temp.~Pacified(
Tomorrow is gone

Temp.~Pacified( is on a distinguished road
Credits: 3,113
"Habitual drinkers are more likely to have sloppy sex with a farm animal" - Brought to you by the letter 7.
Old 04-04-06   #17
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by masochist
Alcohol is poison.
I'll file that under "D" for "duh."

The root of the word intoxication is toxic.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.
Old 04-04-06   #18
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

What else is poison? Flouride! Its in our drinking water and our toothpaste. And without it we would have grills like the British. (No offense, Brits)

Old 04-04-06   #19
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
Oxygen is toxic. Too much of it, and your lungs go bye-bye.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.

Last edited by Shadowborn; 04-04-06 at 19:41.
Old 04-04-06   #20
patryn
fuck off

patryn will become famous soon enoughpatryn will become famous soon enough
Credits: 171,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp.~Pacified(
"Habitual drinkers are more likely to have sloppy sex with a farm animal" - Brought to you by the letter 7.
hahahaha

jesus wants his fucking whistle.