Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page Dungeon's and Dragons....

Old 11-13-03   #521
VelvetPattens
General Board Voyeur

VelvetPattens
Credits: 44,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk
By that logic, all Good Clerics should cheerfully allow Evil ones to sacrifice as many innocent babies and virgins as they want, since it's the will of their Gods... Besides, his Goddess' followers do not have that power.
Not true - The key words here was their followers. An evil god and it's followers will oppose a good god and it's followers. And vice versa. Good Clerics are certainly going to oppose Evil Clerics when their belief system is fundamentally different from their own.

Quote:
I didn't actually know that about resurrection spells. The spell seems a lot less interesting that way, really. I think I'll talk with the GM and ask him to change that part, since it would effectively short-circuit a great story, as well as remove any hint of an ethical dilemma (but then again, moral dilemmas aren't exactly D&D's strong suit).
Personally, I think that the right to come back from the dead, or not, makes sense. If someone really doesn't want to be raised or resurrected, it should be their decision. There's no reason your DM can't make a house rule to change that, though.. maybe a will save to stay dead? (And I don't know.. with our DM's, moral dilemma's seem to creep up on us all the time... !)
Old 11-13-03   #522
Airk
Repairer of Reputations

Airk
Credits: 13,878
I think the root of misunderstanding here is that the Paladin and my character do not follow the same pantheon - she is Christian, my character follows the Elven Gods. I actually forgot that I hadn't mentioned that... Sorry... As such the "if God didn't want it, it wouldn't happen"-approach is pretty moot...

The right to choose whether or not to come back does indeed make sense - but it's a lot less interesting for a story. Especially in this case.

I'd agree - for a game that was built around the premise of "kill people and steal all their stuff", and then tagging on the flimsy excuse that they are evil, so it's all right, there is a surprising amount of ethical trouble possible.

We've actually reached a small (or is that huge?) impasse about that. When the Paladin became an outsider, she more specifically joined the Angelic Choirs, and ended up as a Malachim - and is thus bound to destroy any and all evil. Including the famous "Cute Goblin Baby" from the WotC-forums. When it comes down to cause, she finds an Orc village - and as such the only justification she could have for not wiping it out down to the last, struggling infant would be is another, greater evil needed killing someplace else...

At this point, I interjected that genocide should surely be considered an Evil act?

At which point, both GM and Paladin went really quiet for a while...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

at

"Listen, if you hate someone, you take the consequences"
-Takeshi Kitano,
"Battle Royale"
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03   #523
VelvetPattens
General Board Voyeur

VelvetPattens
And I'd have to agree with you.. which is one of the main reasons I'd make a lousy paladin.. or any other LG character for that matter. Of course I'm pretty crappy at any of the evil alignments as well.
Old 11-14-03   #524
Airk
Repairer of Reputations

Airk
Credits: 13,878
Ah, alignments... Never much cared for those. It always seemed like a good excuse for not taking the time to build a good personality. I know perfectly well that you can have a good character and an alignemnt, but as it is written, it seems to be there mostly to justify the "Know Alignment"-spell

And don't even get me started on "Detect Evil"... *groan*...

Where I do see a use for alignments, is as a reference for the DM - a quick way to say that ing general, Orcs (for example) will behave this way.

And by the way, please tell me that 3,5 has removed that ridiculous line about a +2 bonus to charisma not being as good as a +2 bonus to strength... That one irritated me about as much as Kevin Siembieda's claim that players "play larger than life heroes when they play any roleplaying game", which he seems to make in every single game system he ever writes...

at

"Listen, if you hate someone, you take the consequences"
-Takeshi Kitano,
"Battle Royale"
Old 11-17-03   #525
VelvetPattens
General Board Voyeur

VelvetPattens
I've always thought of an alignment as a rough guide to a character - I've got several characters with the same alignment, and very different personalities...

As to Charisma not being as good as Strength? I'm not sure where it says that, so I can't say it's changed in 3.5...

However considering I've got several characters who are priests, a couple sorceresses, and a bard, I can tell you straight up that I'll plug the points into charisma, rather than strength in almost any character.
Old 11-18-03   #526
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk
And by the way, please tell me that 3,5 has removed that ridiculous line about a +2 bonus to charisma not being as good as a +2 bonus to strength...
No, it's still there. You have to remember though, that in the strictest interpretation of the rules, it's true. Most Cha-based skills effects are nebulous at best, and the only time Cha comes strongly into play as a character stat for purposes of combat is if the character is a bard or sorcerer. Even as a cleric, the ability is secondary.

Where combat is concerned, Strength is king. Hence, for purposes of balancing a races bonuses, Str and Cha are not considered equivalent.

Quote:
That one irritated me about as much as Kevin Siembieda's claim that players "play larger than life heroes when they play any roleplaying game", which he seems to make in every single game system he ever writes...
Well, I can't speak for Mr. Siembieda, but my thought on that line was a person trying to sum up role-playing for those who had never been exposed to it. After all, there is a chance that someone might pick up one of the Palladium systems as a first-time player. Considering the themes of his games (Fantasy RPG, Heroes Unlimited, Rifts) the statement is true, if a bit corny and overdone.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.
Old 06-09-04   #527
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
Bump

Just bumping this up to make a point.

Not every thread in the Games forum is about computer games. Let's not confuse folks.

What the hell happened to all the posters in this thread anyway?

Here's a bit of trivia:

In the movie "XXX", Vin Diesel had the name "Melkor" as a tattoo across his stomach. Apparently, this was the name of his favorite D&D character.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.